Repotting Cacti into the Right Soil
Repotting Plants that come in Peat Moss
Big box stores usually pot a cactus in peat moss which retains too much moisture to be good for cacti long term. We suggest repotting these asap when you get a great find that is in a peat moss mix.
We sometimes get plants in peat moss from suppliers and here is what we do
- Unpot the plant and break up any compacted roots. Let the roots dry out.
- Once dry gently knock off most of the remaining peat moss. It is fine to leave some stuck on peat moss.
- If the plant has damaged roots make sure they have time to dry and heal before repotting. We use a sulfur mixture on damaged roots, but as long as they are dry and healed they should be fine.
- Pot up in fresh cacti & succulent soil like our succulent gold potting mix.
- Top dress with gravel mix or expanded shale to keep weeds out and reduce soil compaction.
Jan 18th 2023
Repotting Cacti into the Right SoilRepotting Plants that come in Peat MossBig box stores usually pot a cactus in peat moss which retain …Jan 18th 2023
Quartz Crystals and Their MeaningsCrystals: QuartzHere at East Austin Succulents, we pride ourselves on carrying the best selection of …Sep 7th 2022
How to prep Succulents and Cacti for WinterPrepping your Succulents and Cacti for Winter the East Austin Succulent WayHere are the basic t …Jan 20th 2022